Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Oops, I spilled the flour all over the floor. I hope my mom and dad aren’t mad that I made a mess; I just want to surprise them. Today I decided to make them cookies by myself! I am alone in my kitchen, wondering what I should do first. Should I preheat the oven, gather my supplies, or mix the ingredients? I am making homemade cookies for the first time. I rummage through my cabinets to get my ingredients. I need to find shortening, brown sugar, vanilla, flour, salt, and baking soda. I end up finding eggs, and milk in the refrigerator. I try to be neat when I mix everything, but end up making a mess. I take a break to clean up the mess. I look at my feet, and I can hardly recognize them because they’re covered in a big, white, powdery mess. I rush to the bath tub to wash off the flour then I change into new clothes. Now I am ready to continue baking.
I turn on the oven and wait for it to be heated to 375ºF. I cut my cookies into heart shapes so that when I am done they will have the American flag on them. I want a heart because it shows my love for the USA. I am sitting there and the minutes feel like hours. I get bored so I start singing to myself to pass the time. I look at the clock, and realize that 4 minutes have passed, but it doesn’t seem to be enough. I decide to wash my utensils so I can be productive while I patiently wait. 10 minutes later my cookies are done. The pan is hot and the cookies need to cool off. I take them out of the oven and let them cool down. I know that I can’t put the icing on them until they are completely cool. I start to get excited because now I get to decorate the cookies. I take out my icing colors. I have red, white, and blue. I use the white as a base color, next I use the red to make the stripes, and then I add blue in the corner to show its significance in my heart. I make the white icing create stars that could have been used in the original flag design. I can’t believe how successful I was in making the cookies.
“Tasha, what did you do? Don’t you know it’s dangerous to use the oven without one of us in the room with you? Did you forget the rules again?” I could hear my mom and dad saying that in the back of my mind. I was expecting them to react in shock and make me feel like I did something wrong. I just wanted to do something on my own volition and surprise them. My parents had reacted completely different despite my preconceived thoughts. My mom was so appreciative that she thanked me for hours. My dad kept telling me how delicious they were and he begged me to make more. I was so happy. I did something that I felt was right at the time, and it ended up being beneficial to me. My mom offered to take me to mother, daughter cooking classes. My first class is next week, and I can’t wait! (:

1 comment:

Britt said...

i love the story it is so cute